I am sorry to report that SWITCHEROO, the third Fran and Ken Stein mystery novel, to be published on June 3, will be the final book in the series. I think it wraps up the siblings' story pretty well, but it'll be up to you to let me know if I'm right about that.
And I feel compelled, again, to say that no, it WASN'T my decision to end the series. Publishers tend to do that for you, based on sales numbers, which weren't fabulous, and perhaps that does make it my fault, since I didn't write a book that enough of you wanted to buy, but now my head hurts and what good is that going to do anyone?
It's something of an amazement that Fran and Ken ever saw it to a bookstore or a library, anyway. I came up with the idea a good many years ago, toward the end of the Guesthouse era, as a way to extend the paranormal type of storylines that readers had enjoyed. But the publisher did not consider Fran and Ken interesting enough to pursue, and so the concept (I only have a few pages - okay, 50 pages - at the time) sat on my hard drive for a number of years.
But luckily, my agent Josh Getzler absolutely refused to give up on the Steins, and he kept plugging away until Severn House, then in the midst of the Jersey Girl series, decided to take a chance and published UKULELE OF DEATH. Interest was strong enough that we got through two more installments, but the writing (outside of the books) was on the wall, and Severn pulled the plug as SWITCHEROO was in the process of preparation for its publication, which I still hope might spur some of you to pick up a copy and read it. I don't like to brag, but I think these three books are pretty good.
Meanwhile, don't give up on my paranormal mysteries just yet: In ALL SPOOKED UP, the first Haunted Paint Store mystery coming towards the end of 2025, you'll meet Laura Meehan, who took up her father's paint and wallpaper store in a South Jersey town when her dad passed away. She wasn't expecting that he'd still be in the store, offering advice - and some criticism - as she investigates a murder that takes place in her business one night when the store is closed. And that's all I'll tell you about that now.
So yes, it is sad that we're saying goodbye to Fran and Ken. I'll miss them. But Laura, her husband Roy and her dad Amos are just waiting in the wings, and hopefully you'll find them good company.
I'm sorry to hear that there won't be anymore adventures of Fran and Ken (in print anyway. I like to imagine characters continuing their lives even past the arbitrary decisions of publishers.) I do submit requests for each new title you publish to my local library, so others can share your words and enjoy them as much as I do. Thanks, Kim
ReplyDeleteMr. Copperman/Cohen, I am so disappointed and sad that you will not be writing, and most importantly, sharing, more Fran & Ken stories! I have LOVED Fran as the narrator. The way she walks confidently through the world asking questions and demanding truth and justice is inspiring. Her empathy and love for others is awkward and honest. I have laughed at her wry humor and looked forward to every interaction between her and Ken. Please, if you have more Ken and Fran stories that you’d like to share, know that I, and my husband, and others we have told about the series, would love to read them! Have you considered self-publishing? (I’m sure you have, but I just had to ask!) I often wish I had my own publishing company, so I could help get great stories from up-and-coming authors to more people. Your stories (and I’ve read all your series) are better written and more enjoyable than many nationally and internationally “acclaimed” books that, in the end, are formulaic and static. Keep writing and sharing all the amazing characters and ideas you have! I can’t wait for a new story! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words. No, I don't have the skill set for self-publishing, so we'll have to deal with the industry as it is. I am grateful for your very generous comments and hope you'll keep reading, especially the Haunted Paint Store series beginning in November!
DeleteMr. Copperman - I am genuinely gutted to hear that there will not be more Fran and Ken books! I feel like just one more could truly wrap things up and not leave things feeling like they’re hanging off the end of the third act.
ReplyDeleteI know I’m a little late to the party and wish I’d known about the books when they were being published. I recently listened to the audiobooks (wonderfully done!) and I’ve been hooked. I understand the issue of the publisher dropping the story and wish that it weren’t the case. Even if you only wrote and self published to e-book, I’d certainly pay for it! How did Liv and Brandon actually make Fran and Ken? How will Ken confront his resentment towards their parents and talk to them about how he still feels abandoned? When will Fran realize she’s in love with Rich but doesn’t think she deserves him and that’s what’s holding her back? When will Fran get her arch of realizing that she’s autistic? (Gosh just think of the fun social commentary that would be! Was that something Liv and Brandon could choose or was that out of their control? The notion that a genetic “superhuman” is also autistic and that honestly adds more to her super humanness?? Literally so many cool possibilities).
Anyway, all this is to say that I really enjoy these books. The stories are so fun, the dialogue is witty and relatable, and the characters are delightful. Thank you for sharing Fran and Ken’s stories and taking us on such a fun twisty journey.