Thursday, November 15, 2018
Because I write "humorous cozies":
- People are surprised when I say, "Fuck."
- Some people think I'm a gender other than the one I am (which is fine).
- There are those who assume I'm good at knitting, or something.
- No review of a book I wrote will ever include the words "shattering," "gripping," "intense" or "important."
- People are generally very gracious when they recognize my name.
- Readers ask when my books will be adapted by the Hallmark Channel.
- I'm often asked if Louise Penny is nice (she's lovely--we've never met).
- I am occasionally asked (online) which Disney princess I believe I am. (Sneezy.)
- When I was in chemo, I received many knitted hats. (Thank you!)
- Everybody wants to know if I believe in ghosts (that's specific to the Haunted Guesthouse books).
- Once in a while someone will look at me and go, "Say something funny." (And when I reply, "Something funny," they don't look amused. You can't please some people.)
- I will never be mentioned in the New York Times Book Review.
- My name will never be bigger than the title. (Which is perfectly okay with me.)
- People are equally surprised when I say, "Shit."
- Some bookstores will place my books in the Romance section. I mean, fine, but... ?
- There are those who will be unprepared for my characters to have actual emotions.
- I have been gifted with a career by lovely people who like my books. (BIG thank you!)